LockDown Browser is a locked browser for taking tests in Blackboard Learn. It prevents you from printing, copying, going to another URL, or accessing other applications during a test. If a Blackboard test requires that LockDown Browser be used, you will not be able to take the test with a standard web browser. LockDown Browser should only be used for taking Blackboard tests. It should not be used in other areas of Blackboard.
1. Installing LockDown Browser.
- Be aware LockDown browser will not be compatible with Chromebooks for UA testing.
- To install LockDown Browser, look for the following widget after logging in to ualearn.blackboard.com. It should be located in the center of the screen.
2. Taking a Test.
- Close all programs, unless one is used to connect you to the Internet.
- Locate the “LockDown Browser” shortcut on the desktop and double-click it.(For Mac users, launch “LockDown Browser” from the Applications folder.)
- From the Choose Server drop down menu choose "Blackboard Learn".
- If prompted, either close a blocked program (e.g. screen capture, instant messaging) by choosing Yes. Or, close LockDown Browser and close the blocked program before restarting.
- Log into Blackboard.
- Navigate to the test within the course and select Begin Exam.
- The test will then start. (Note, once a test has been started with Respondus LockDown Browser, you cannot exit until the Submit button is clicked.)
3. Using Respondus Monitor.
- You may be required to use LockDown Browser with a webcam, which will record you during an online, non-proctored exam. (The webcam feature is sometimes referred to as “Respondus Monitor.”) Your computer must have a functioning webcam and microphone. A broadband connection is also required. If a quiz requires LockDown Browser and a webcam, follow the steps in the previous “Taking A Test” section. At this point the Startup Sequence for the webcam begins.
- The Webcam Check will confirm that your webcam and microphone are working properly.
- The remaining steps of the Startup Sequence will depend on settings chosen by your instructor. Follow the instructions and note your progress along the left side of the screen.
- If you encounter a problem, select the It’s not working link for troubleshooting tips.
- The test will begin after the Startup Sequence is complete.You cannot exit LockDown Browser until the quiz is submitted for grading.