The following steps will cover the creation and customization of a Blackboard Collaborate Session.
1.) Find the "Blackboard Collaborate" link on the Course Menu on the left side of the window.
2.) Once that page loads, you should see a window similar to the one below.
3.) Click the red "Create Session" button in the box labeled "Schedule a Session."
4.) A "Create Session" window should appear that looks similar to the one below:
- Session Name - You can name the session here.
- Start Time/End Time - You can specify the date and time the collaborate session will begin and end.
- Early Session Entry - You can choose to allow students early access to the session room here. The options are: 0, 15, 30, 45, and 60 minutes prior to the session start time.
- For example, if the Start Time was set as 7:00 PM and the Early Entry Time was set as 30 minutes, then students would be able to enter the room at 6:30 PM to make sure everything works properly.
- Session Type - You have the option of setting the type of Collaborate session to either "Course" (which restricts access to the session to individuals in the course) or "Shared" (which allows different courses to share a collaborate room at the same time)
- Teleconference Options - You have the option to allow teleconferencing, but we usually leave this set to "Do not use teleconference," unless specifically instructed otherwise.
- Room Attributes - You can edit settings of the collaborate room here. For example, you can change the "Max Simultaneous Talkers" from between 1 to 6. You can also "Preload Content" here, like a PowerPoint for example. The default settings are typically used unless otherwise specified.
- Grade Center Integration - You can integrate the session with a column in the grade center which will allow you to take and give credit for attendance to the sessions. This is strictly professor preference.
- Roles and Access - You can edit the roles of participants and change who has access to the session here.
- You can choose "All users join as moderators" which will give everyone in the session admin privileges inside the Collaborate room, or you can individually "Add Moderators."
- You can also further restrict access to the session by checking the box labeled "Restrict access to this session," which allows you to individually add users to the participant list.