When a point value is assigned to a Discussion Forum there is the option to notify the instructors through the yellow icon in the grade center as well as an entry in the Needs Grading area after a student has made a set number of posts in the Discussion Edit Menu.
If the notification option for Needs Grading is not set, but still need to be graded, use the following steps:
- Access your discussion area via the link on the Course Menu or by accessing Course Tools > Discussion Board.
- Navigate to and click the title of the forum or thread you wish to grade.
- Depending on whether you are grading a forum or thread, you will see two different buttons:
(If you do not see the "Grade" button you most likely do not have a point value set for the item).
- Here you will see a list of all participants in the forum, along with their username, number of posts, and the button.
- In the Forum Grading area you be presented with a list of all posts made in the selected forum by the selected student.
- There will also be a link to a grading rubrics if one is associated with the discussion and an area available to giving feedback to the student and entering their grade.
- Above the grade entry area you will see the name of the current student along with an arrow to either side of the name box. Clicking the arrows allows you to navigate to the next ( > ) or previous (< ) student.
- Clicking on the name of the students above the grade entry area will display all students with gradable posts in the forum, allowing you to jump around and grade them instead of going in order, or for finding a specific students posts.